Monday, January 25, 2010

Very Important Words of Wisdom

A Child's Plea:

The poem EVERY parent should read!

Today I did my math and science.
I toasted bread, halved and quartered, counted, measured, and used my eyes, ears and hands.
I added and subtracted on the way.
I used magnets, blocks and memory tray.
I learned about a rainbow and how to weigh.
So please don't say -

"ANYTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?"

You see, I'm sharing as I play, to learn to listen and speak clearly when I talk
to wait my turn and when inside to walk.
To put my words into a phrase, to find my name and write it down.
To do it with a smile and not to frown, to put my pasting brush away.
So please don't say -

"ANYTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?"

I learned about a snail and a worm.
Remembered how to take my turn.
Helped a friend when he was stuck.
Learned that water runs off a duck.
Looked at words from left to right.
Agreed to differ, not to fight.
So please don't say -

"DID YOU ONLY PLAY TODAY?"

Yes, I played the whole day through.
I played to learn the things I do,
I speak a problem, find a clue and work out for myself just what to do.
My teacher's set the scene, and stay near-by to help me when I really try.
They are there to pose the problems, and to help me think.
I hope they will keep me floating and never let me sink. All of this is in my head and not in my bag.
It makes me sad to hear you say -

"HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING TODAY?"

When you attended your meeting today and do your work I will remember not to say to you -

"WHAT DID YOU DO?"


- author unknown




Grace and Courtesy -
More than good manners!


The exercises of Grace and Courtesy are designed to develop harmony between mind and body as well as among each other. The term Grace comes from the latin "Gratia," meaning something done naturally, without effort.
Courtesy is being considerate with one another, respectful and attentive. The exercises of grace and courtesy are continually presented in the classroom so that the community of children work harmoniously together.

Returning lessons to the shelf in good order "ready for the next person," this requires of the child thinking and concentration, their attention to detail, control of movement (to carry the work carefully through the room and set it down in its proper place), and an awareness of the world outside of themselves.
The motivator for the child's efforts is not the teacher, or following the classroom rules, but its their natural desire to be a part of their community.
The child learns to speak the language of respectful conversation and to be aware of his own feelings and the feelings of others.
They also learn a deeper level of independence. Rather than keeping children at desks, Dr. Montessori believed that children were more than capable of learning social graces that would lead to a calm and peaceful classroom.
The children learn to carefully open and close doors, to greet visitors, to choose words intentionally, and to be generally mindful of their actions and the effects of their surroundings

No comments: